Newport Wellness Week Returns This Weekend
Start your year off right and stick to your New Year’s resolutions.
We’re seventeen days in to the New Year. If your resolution to be fit, workout more or eat healthier is starting to crumble, we’ve got just the thing to help kick your bad habits to the curb. From January 18–25, take advantage of discounted classes, get a massage, participate in fun exercise-based activities and more during Newport Wellness Week. We’ve rounded up some of our favorites, below.
If You Want to Eat Healthier:
- Plant-Based Food: Head to Harry’s Bar and Burger for foodie fun. During Newport Wellness Week, their house-made veggie black bean burgers and plant-based “chicken” nuggets are 50 percent off with the purchase of any beverage. Harry’s Bar and Burger, 464 Thames St., Newport, 619-3617, harrysbarburger.com.
- Nutrition and Cooking Class: Learn nutritious recipes and cooking techniques with MLK Community Center Registered Dietitian, Kristin Niessink. Participants will learn a new recipe and leave with a hearty, nutritious meal to take home to share with their families. Send your reservation to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 368-7614. Jan. 21. 5–6 p.m. Free. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center, 20 Dr. Marcus F. Wheatland Blvd., Newport, discovernewport.org.
If You Want to Workout More:
- Yoga and Wine: Un-wine-d with an hour-long yoga class at Newport Vineyards. The restorative yoga and essential oils session is followed by a Newport Vineyards wine tasting. This evening is sure to leave you Relaxed, Refreshed and Rejuvenated! Jan. 22. 6-8 p.m. $30. Newport Vineyards, 909 East Main Rd., Middletown, 848-5161, newportvineyards.com.
- Fore the Ladies: Fore the Ladies is returning to Newport Indoor Golf. Warm up with some bevs and instruction from PGA professionals who are ready to help you learn and hone in your golf game. Later, shop for your next golf round with pop up shops from women’s golf apparel brands and take home some prizes. Plus, there will be some wine to sip and warm you up before trying out the game. Jan. 26. $20. Newport Indoor Golf, 1847 West Main Rd., Portsmouth, 847-1947, newportindoorgolf.com.
- Cycle: SALT Cycle Studio is taking over Bristol. They have teamed up with Twelve Guns Brewing, to host a cycle class followed by brews. Jan. 18-19. Salt Cycle Studio, 315 Main Rd., Tiverton, 816-0404, saltcyclestudios.com.
If You Want to Relax:
- MBSR Class: Learn what mindfulness is and how it could help change your life. In this one-and-a-half-hour workshop, you will experience a series of mindful exercises and practices with opportunities for discussion to see if Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction is what you are looking for. It has been shown to lower stress, boost immune response and bring relief and joy to people with a variety of physical and psychological conditions. Jan. 18. 2-3:30 p.m. and Jan. 24. 4-5:30 p.m. Innerlight Center for Yoga, 850 Aquidneck Ave., Middletown, 849-3200, innerlightyoga.com.
- Crystal Healing Light Therapy: Enjoy seven Crystal Healing Light Therapy sessions for the price of five. It is a $140 value for $100. One session is twenty minutes long. Crystal Healing is safe and non-invasive and it cleanses, balances and recharges the body’s energy and creates a deep relaxation. $100. Tiffany Peay Jewelry, 3851 Main Rd., Tiverton, 816-0878, tiffanypeay.com.
- Breath Experiments: In this workshop with Tom Gillette, learn breathing practices that you can use on a regular basis and discover how your breathing can powerfully affect feelings of fear or anxiety. The session begins with an experiential immersion of deep listening to the body and breath. Through a series of breath experiments, you will learn effective breath practices for coming out of the mental state of anxiety and panic. Jan. 18. $30-$35. Rhode Island Hot Yoga, 36 Gooding Ave., Bristol, 917-9010, rhodeislandhotyoga.com.
See a full list of New port Wellness Week events here.