A Healthy Dinner Recipe You Have to Try Tonight
At the end of a long (and cold!) work week, we’ve got you covered.
At the end of a long work week, the dreaded question, *ahem* ‘what’s for dinner?’ is the last thing you want to hear. Instead of ordering a greasy take-out pizza, save a couple of bucks and make a warm red kale and root veggie salad packed with protein and fiber.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
2–3 medium sized beets (washed thoroughly)
1 sweet potato
1 large red onion
2–3 tbsp. olive oil
4–5 cloves of garlic
2/3 cup quinoa
1 ½ cups low vegetable (or chicken) stock
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
4–6 oz. goat cheese
½ bunch red or green kale
1 tbsp. ground sage
Ground black pepper
Prepare the Vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat each beet and the sweet potato in 1 tsp. of olive oil and wrap them in aluminum foil. (Your do not need to peel them prior to cooking).
- Place the beets and sweet potato on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour or until they can be pierced with a steak knife with minimal effort.
- Once roasted, take a spoon or use your hands to peel the skins of the beets and sweet potato.
- Once peeled, chop the beets and sweet potato however you like and set aside.
- Remove the kale leaves from the stems using a knife or your hands. Roughly chop the leaves to prepare them for your salad.
Prepare the Quinoa:
- While the beets and sweet potato are in the oven, preheat a pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil to the pot.
- Chop half of the red onion and add it to the pot.
- Mince 2 cloves of garlic and add it with the onions.
- Cook the garlic and the onions until the onions become translucent. Once cooked, add dry quinoa and “toast” over medium heat for 2–3 minutes.
- Then, add 1 ½ cups of stock. Let everything come to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover for 10–20 minutes. Once all the liquid has been absorbed, remove the quinoa from the heat and let it sit covered for 5–10 minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Thinly slice the other half of your onion and mince 2–3 cloves of garlic. Add both into the pan and cook until firm but not ‘raw.’
- Deglaze your pan with balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar. Then add in beets and sweet potato. Season everything with salt, pepper and sage.
- Add in the cooked quinoa and let everything simmer together for 10 minutes.
- Place your chopped kale into a large salad bowl, add in the vegetable and quinoa mixture and toss to combine.
- Season with a dash of salt and pepper to taste and top with crumbled goat cheese. Enjoy!
This recipe was provided by Casey Sardo, RD, LDN.