8 Things to Do at the Tenth Annual Rhode Island Comic Con
Get ready Providence: the fandoms are set to take over the city this weekend once again at this year's Rhode Island Comic Con.
You’ve read over the Rhode Island Comic Con survival guide and bought your passes, now it’s time to plan your schedule for the weekend. Lucky for you, we’ve gone ahead and compiled some can’t-miss highlights for the pop culture convention’s highly anticipated tenth year at the AMP and Rhode Island Convention Center in Providence.
- Must-See Celebrities
This year’s convention will host guests Jared Padalecki (“Walker,” “Supernatural”), Jason Lee (“My Name is Earl,” Clerks II), Michael Rooker (Guardians of the Galaxy, “The Walking Dead”), Rachel Leigh Cook (She’s All That, Josie and the Pussycats), Scott Patterson (“Gilmore Girls”), Alicia Silverstone (Clueless, Batman and Robin), Stephen Amell (“Arrow,” “Heels”), Zachary Levi (Shazam!, “Chuck”) and other movie and television stars, as well as many familiar voice actors, professional wrestlers and more.
Join in on a group photo op with the cast of “Walker” and/or get an autograph and photo from your favorite actors, artists, creators, and writers. Take a walk around the convention floor and you may just bump into someone famous — some actors like to arrive in disguise, so keep your eyes peeled!
- PanelsRI Comic Con offers a variety of panels to suit all your creative and informational needs. Be ready to take notes at the convention’s World Building 101 panel on Friday as you learn how to construct believable fictional worlds and bring logic to fantastical stories. On Saturday, join multiple Disney voice actors as they discuss what it’s like to bring fan favorite House of Mouse characters to life or see the stars of “My Name is Earl” reunite on stage more than a decade after the show ended. Stop by on Sunday for even more cast reunions, like Clueless and “Supernatural.”There are so many options; you’ll have a hard time choosing which to attend! Some panels do have limited seating so be sure to get there early and reserve your ticket for free. Head here for the full schedule of panels and for more information about ticketed events. Note: the “Walker” and “Supernatural” panels on Sunday are not included with the price of admission. An additional $20–$20 ticket (price based on seating) is required and can be purchased in advance here.
- Cosplay ContestOne of the best parts of Comic Con is the excuse to dress up as your favorite character even after Halloween is over — and you can win a prize for it! Cosplay contest sign ups open Saturday morning at the Omni Hotel informational booth and extend through Sunday at noon. The final judging will occur Sunday afternoon. Judging criteria will be based on workmanship, overall appearance, originality and stage presence. Both kids and adults are encouraged to sign up and the more creative, the better.
- Multiple AttractionsLife-size, “ridable” Battle Cat and Panthor figures from the hit show/toy line “He Man and the Masters of the Universe” will be available for photo ops on the Rhode Island Convention Center exhibit hall floor.Feature Presentation is bringing a completely immersive walkthrough experience of the Upside Down from “Stranger Things” to the Amica Mutual Pavilion’s lower level.The Amica Mutual Pavilion will also play host to a number of iconic cars from productions like Back to the Future, Batman and “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” on the lower concourse for all your photo op needs.
- GamingGot a game you’ve always wanted to learn to play? RI Comic Con has you covered with explainers on Dungeons and Dragons, Pokemon and more throughout the weekend. But the con is also challenging more expert gamers to enter the Electromagnetic Pinball Tournament at on Saturday to support Project Pinball Charity. The cost is $20 per entry and the tournament is limited to twenty-four spots. Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three contenders.
- Ink-Fusion EmpireNow’s the time to get a tattoo from one of the many talented Ink-Fusion tattoo artists. The Ink Fusion Tattoo Empire is the first and leading International Tattoo program held at Comic Cons. Contact information is available for each tattoo artist here so that fans may schedule appointments for the weekend.
Grab your kiddos and bring them to the Rotunda Room on the fifth floor for fun activities in face painting, balloon animal making and more. Learn how to use the force and wield a lightsaber at Saber Guild’s Padawan Training Institute and rock out to live theme song tunes from favorite pop-culture films. tv shows and games with the Clemenzi Crusaders. Visit here for more details.
Celebrate a decade of the biggest show in the smallest state with dancing and more at the Tenth Anniversary After Party on Saturday, November 5, in the Omni Hotel ballroom from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Tickets are $20 and guests must be twenty-one or older to attend. Purchase your tickets in advance here.
For more information about RI Comic Con, check out the website at ricomiccon.com.