Easy Ways to Update Your Interior Design During the Stay-at-Home Order
The team at Blakely Interior Design offers some tips for decorating while you're social distancing.
We have ten more days of the full-fledged stay-at-home order in Rhode Island. Let’s make them count by sprucing up our isolation stations with tips from the pros at Blakely Interior Design in North Kingstown. Here are interior designer Janelle Blakely’s favorite DIYs:
- Assess what’s working for you and what’s not. Maybe it’s the color of your walls, or the layout of your living room furniture. When you figure out what you’d like to change, you also have to assess how feasible it is to accomplish right now. For instance, you may not love your living room sofa, but buying such a large piece of furniture online can be difficult. Instead, you can purchase some new throw pillows online for a quick update and save the larger pieces for later.
- Painting walls is a no-brainer fix for a dull room. Home Depot and other local paint stores are still open for business (as long as you wear a mask!) and there are some options for ordering paint online as well if you don’t want to go to a store. It’s really amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do! Another easy way to bring some life back into a room is by taking down old draperies that are faded and drab. Natural light is certainly a mood booster.
- Decluttering a space can lift a huge weight off your shoulders and improve the functionality in your home. Whether it’s a smaller project like your kitchen pantry or a larger project like an entire basement, removing things that you don’t need and don’t bring you joy anymore (ahem, the KonMari method) can be transformative.
- Home accessories are a great way to bring in color and personality to your space. A fun activity to re-style your shelves, bookcases and coffee tables would be to gather all the accessories that you own into one place, group them into categories (books, trays, decorative objects, etc.) and then re-style each surface. Then if you think there are some pieces that you’re missing, go online shopping! Coffee table books, table lamps, throw pillows and blankets, art prints and other decor can all be purchased from the comfort of your home. One of our favorite styling tips is to take the sleeves off of books – many of them have colorful spines hiding underneath! We have some great blog posts all about styling a space and how to use color and pattern on our Vibrant Living Blog.
- Download the (free!) Project Planner from our website for comprehensive steps on how to start planning for your interior design project, from budgeting your financials to developing your aesthetic. We have also added a few new services that can be done via video call: Virtual Design Consultations and Design Direction.