The Dish: 17 Oyster Deals Across Rhode Island
Where to get the best bivalve bargains.
Now that we’re in prime oyster season as shellfish begin to fatten up for the winter, take advantage of some of these dollar oyster days and specials (while they last). Some restaurants run the deals year-round, while others will halt for the busy season. Ask before you order!
1. The lower level at Benjamin’s in Newport features a raw bar filled with regulars where you can order dollar oysters and shrimp and fifty-cent clams for Raw Bar Happy Hour from noon to 2 p.m. every day and all day on Tuesdays. 254 Thames St., Newport, 401-846-8768, benjaminsrawbar.com
8. Take advantage of buck-a-shuck oysters at Greenwich Bay Oyster Bar Monday through Friday from 4 to 6 p.m. and noon to 6 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. 240 Main St., East Greenwich, 401-398-2462, greenwichbayoysterbar.com
10. Midtown Oyster Bar’s Champagne and Shells is every Tuesday from 5 p.m. to close. Buy a glass of Champagne and get three free oysters, or buy a whole bottle and get a dozen gratis. 345 Thames St., Newport, 401-619-4100, midtownoyster.com
11. Mill’s Tavern features a Happy Hour Raw Bar Mondays through Saturdays from 5 to 8 p.m. and Sundays from 4 to 7 p.m. in the bar area only. Enjoy $1.50 oysters, $1 littlenecks and $1.25 shrimp cocktail for $1 apiece. Order a dozen and get a glass of Honey Shale Hill sauvignon blanc for $19. 101 North Main St., Providence, 401-272-3331, millstavernrestaurant.com
12. Tuesday is dollar oyster night at New Rivers from 5 to 10 p.m. The menu includes weekly changing bivalves from local waters, often including Walrus and Carpenters, Plum Points and Wellfleets. 7 Steeple St., Providence, 401-751-0350, newriversrestaurant.com
14. Providence Oyster Bar offers $1 oysters, littlenecks, cherrystones and shrimp at the bar Mondays from 4 to 6:30 p.m. and Tuesdays through Sundays from 3 to 6:30 p.m. Daily changing oyster varieties. 283 Atwells Ave., Providence, 401-272-8866, providenceoysterbar.com
17. TwoTen Oyster Bar and Grill offers $1 oysters and littlenecks every Monday through Friday from 4-6 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday 11:30 a.m.−1 p.m. During this time, you can also enjoy $3 drafts and $6 martinis. 210 Salt Pond Rd., South Kingstown, 401-782-0100, twotenobg.com
Editor’s note: This list is continuously updated, so please let us know in the comments if we missed another good deal on oysters!