10 Great Quotes from Bryant University's Women's Summit
Here are some of the messages that we took away from the event that empowers women in the workplace.
Leymah Gbowee, Kati Machtley and Mary Kelly at the Bryant University Women's Summit
Kati Machtley's Twitter feed @wsdirector
On Friday, I had the pleasure of attending the Women’s Summit at Bryant University for the first time. This year marked the event’s twentieth anniversary and it celebrated with another sold out crowd (in a record-breaking nine and a half hours!). The lineup of keynote speakers included internationally renowned economist and author Mary Kelly, Ph.D., 2011 Nobel Peace Prize recipient and Liberian peace activist Leymah Gbowee, lifestyle and personal development expert Debi Sibler, and Geena Davis, actor and founder of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in the Media. Breakout sessions in between each presentation also focused on various topics from financial planning and working remotely to self-empowerment and entrepreneurship.
As a woman who works in a predominately female office, I found a sense of camaraderie with my fellow Summit attendees. I immediately identified with the fact that we were all there to feel empowered, learn from the wise, and bring those powerful messages back to our workplaces. The energy that was felt embodied the “sisterhood” that speaker Leymah Gbowee spoke of in her address, a feeling that made me think of my own female colleagues and how we work together as part of the Rhode Island Monthly team. Not only did Friday’s Summit inspire me to be a better leader, but it inspired me to be a better person, both inside and out, for myself and my sisterhood. Here are some of the messages that I took away:
1. "People are so worried about being popular that they forget to do their job." – Mary Kelly
2. "It’s hard to do what you want to do if you don’t feel well." – Debi Sibler
3. "We all want to leave a legacy of something bigger than ourselves." – Mary Kelly
4. "Why create a problem that we have to solve later?" – Geena Davis
5. "There is always someone who sees what you do." – Mary Kelly
6. "Sisterhood is not just a concept. There are women who will stand up." – Leymah Gbowee
7. "Communicate the way people need you to communicate with them." – Mary Kelly
8. "Your belief system is no more than a repetition of someone you trust." –Debi Sibler
9. "Find time to say thank you. Find time to be genuinely appreciative of people." – Mary Kelly
10. "We grow from challenges. We grow from the desire for more, for something better and when something encourages us to stretch." – Debi Sibler
Follow #wsummit2017 on Twitter to find even more words of wisdom from the twentieth Women’s Summit at Bryant University.